Embracing a holistic approach to mental health means evaluating how a person’s overall well-being gets altered by underlying factors such as spiritual, physical, emotional, psychological, and social conditions. For you to achieve healing, your doctor must consider all of these factors.
Traditional pharmaceutical prescriptions only focus on physical symptoms. This is why there are many cases of relapse (in cases of substance use disorder) or maladaptive behavior even after an individual has recovered. Therefore, addressing underlying psychological and mental health issues is critical for a successful recovery.
Holistic counselors are at the heart of this procedure. They establish efficient ways to find a link between physical, psychological, and spiritual components. Since they are all interrelated, addressing each aspect contributes to holistic recovery.
Principles of Holistic Mental Health
Principles of holistic mental health include:
- You are responsible for your health and well-being. Additionally, the most significant healer is support and unconditional love.
- Treatment should not only focus on alleviating symptoms. It should also fix the underlying factors that led to that condition.
- All individuals possess innate healing powers.
- The healing process involves a combined effort featuring the doctor and patient. It focuses on all aspects of your life using various practices.
- A client is a person, not a disease.
Aspects of Holistic Mental Health
The five main aspects of holistic mental health are as follows:
Maintaining good physical health is crucial because it contributes significantly to your overall well-being. The unique thing about physical well-being is that it is easily noticeable. It is easy to spot physical signs and symptoms. There are efficient ways of maintaining your physical health. These approaches ensure a significant contribution to your overall well-being. They include:
- Eat a well-balanced diet containing plant-based foods and organic products.
- Dedicate around 30 minutes of every day to exercise.
- Ensure you get 8 hours of sleep each night. Sufficient sleep allows your body to rest and repair.
- Avoid smoking and drinking excessive alcohol.
- Choose snacks and meals that contain protein, fat, and carbohydrates to maintain an adequate blood sugar level.
- Avoid taking processed foods or hydrogenated oils as they increase the risk of getting a chronic disease.
Maintaining a strong link between emotional and physical health requires your mental health to be in good shape. Mental health is different from emotional health. Your daily moods and emotions depend on your emotional health. On the other hand, mental health revolves around your cognitive abilities and how they affect your brain’s functions.
Efficient ways of supporting your mental health include:
- Reducing alcohol consumption as well as the use of recreational drugs and cigarettes.
- Keep your mind active. You can achieve this by engaging in problem-solving practices and seeking out learning opportunities.
- Improve the health of your gut by eating gut-healing foods like probiotic-rich foods or bone broth.
- Consume nutrient-dense food containing omega-3 fatty acids and high amounts of antioxidants.
We are social beings. To enhance good social health, establish deep connections with your kin, friends, and the community. It is a crucial aspect because it offers a deep sense of support and results in happiness.
Support your social health by:
- Dedicating some of your time to an in-person connection. Although technology has provided us with virtual ways of keeping close tabs on each other, one-on-one interaction promotes higher levels of happiness. Ensure you physically meet with your friends and family and engage in various activities with them.
- Avoiding toxic energy. If you feel like someone in your life is increasing your stress level or affecting your health negatively in any way, set boundaries or walk away from them.
- Increasing your participation in your local community. You can achieve this by volunteering in local organizations, going to church, or attending school programs.
Spiritual wellness means connecting with your soul and generally the world around you. It does not necessarily mean that you will have to become devoted to any religion. Efficient ways of promoting your spiritual health include:
- Spending time in nature
- Practicing your faith
Emotional health can affect your physical health if you fail to prioritize it. For example, when you feel stressed out, you may fail to eat enough or eat at all, which does not lend itself well to your healing process. The following things can help support your emotional health:
- Engage in stress-reducing habits like sports, and practice mindfulness. These habits and exercises help you manage life’s daily stressors.
- Keep a record of your favorite memories. For example, you may have pictures or a journal where you record your feelings and thoughts. In times of stress, these memories help bring about positivity.
- Utilize therapy when you feel unmotivated or unhappy. Therapy can be vital when it comes to supporting your emotional health.
Benefits of a Holistic Approach
There are two distinct advantages of embracing holistic treatment:
- Sustained physical conditions increase your chances of experiencing psychological distress. Epilepsy and Type 1 Diabetes may cause elevated psychological disorders in children. On the other hand, psychological distress may hinder recovery from such illnesses. For example, failure to comply with treatment has been associated with psychological disorders.
- Psychological health directly affects physical health and vice versa. The introduction of holistic mental health focuses on both aspects to ensure a successful recovery.
- Psychological intervention while treating physical health has been shown to reduce the cost of treatment by 20%. Long-term treatment is expensive, but when doctors incorporate psychotherapy and medical treatment, the expenditure reduces. Why? Using the holistic approach was more effective because it reduced the probability of needing more treatment.
Holistic mental health incorporates different therapies as part of the core procedures to achieve full recovery. Your doctor will help you find an approach that works for you. An efficient healing process must include a good balance of support systems, lifestyle changes, and therapies.
Do Therapies Help?
Just like traditional medications, the effectiveness of psychotherapy varies from one individual to the other. Therapies can be crucial because they have shown to:
- Promote relaxation
- Promote mind-body connection
- Treat signs and symptoms of mental disorders
- Engage the patient in treatment
- Promote an overall healthy lifestyle during recovery
- Suppress side effects resulting from medications and other treatments
You may choose to incorporate therapy into your clinical treatment or add some medication to your psychotherapy. Your doctor will advise you accordingly.
The following therapies help achieve holistic mental health:
- Yoga—Guided imagery, meditation, poses, and breathwork facilitate body-mind connection, flexibility, physical and psychological health, and self-awareness. Additionally, yoga helps with depression, anxiety, stress, fatigue, and back pain.
- Acupuncture—Acupuncture can facilitate digestion, sleep, relieve experiences of pain, and promote endorphin release and overall well-being.
- Pottery—Pottery can improve your heart rate, blood pressure, and confidence and provide you with a platform to challenge your thoughts and feelings.
- Massage—Massage work can relieve pain, improve blood circulation, facilitate body and mind connection, enhance sleep, improve immune function, lift your mood, promote self-awareness, and minimize stress.
- Physical fitness—Engage in movement to disseminate positive energy, which can suppress depression and anxiety symptoms. Physical activity can also help you get quality sleep, gain self-awareness, relieve tension, enhance body strength, boost overall physical health and improve confidence levels.
- Equine therapy—Work with horses and consequently develop control, self-esteem, and overcome fear from past traumas.
- Music therapy—Professional music therapists create music for the patient to listen to in a calm environment. Through creative expression, you can heal from anxiety, depression, trauma, and other conditions.
- Energy healing—A wide range of practices such as Tai Chi, Reiki, Qj Gong can remove blockages that hinder the natural healing processes.
- Hypnotherapy—A hypnotherapist can guide you into relaxation, where you end up in a hypnotic state. This state can help you to address suppressed feelings, memories, and thoughts and reprogram behavior.
Where Do I Find A Holistic Mental Health Provider?
There are many holistic providers in the medical industry. They include medical doctors, naturopathic doctors, osteopathy doctors, homeopathic doctors, and chiropractors. However, getting a reliable provider can be challenging. The following tips will help you choose the right one:
- Do your homework. When selecting a reliable holistic mental health provider, ensure that they are experienced, well-trained, and have a strong association with hospitals or professional organizations. Are they certified by the medical board? Additionally, evaluate the doctor’s treatment philosophy.
- Get face time with your doctor. A reliable provider should spend adequate time with you. Enough contact time ensures that your provider understands your needs.
- Treatment options. The provider you choose should examine all of your lifestyle factors, including underlying factors that may be contributing to your condition.
- Don’t trust just anyone. The best way to get top-notch services is to get a recommendation from a trustworthy individual or credible health organization.
- Choose someone you are comfortable with, to the extent you feel you can comfortably share with them details of your lifestyle. Remember, holistic medicine involves a collective approach between you and your provider. Make sure it is someone you would like to worth with, without having any trust issues.
Your holistic provider will be looking to understand you wholly, not just your disease. Be prepared to answer questions regarding your diet, sleeping habits, exercise, close relationships, emotions, religious beliefs and practices, hobbies, and more.
Granite Recovery Centers takes pride in offering high quality holistic mental health services. We value honesty, professionalism, individualized care, and a number of other essential rehabilitation services. We take a holistic approach in treating addiction because most individuals with substance use disorder also have existing mental health disorders. Our NFA behavioral health program deals with such situations.
By choosing our services, you get the unique opportunity of interacting with our licensed therapists and medical team, who will ensure you get the following psychotherapeutic services:
- Group therapy
- Grief and loss therapy
- Individual therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Co-occurring mental disorder treatment
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Motivational interviewing
We will treat you as a whole–mind, spirit, and body. Our program provides holistic activities such as meditation, yoga, and physical routines. We emphasize such activities because they increase self-confidence, reduce stress, boost endorphins and support overall mental health.
Our NFA treatment program features:
- Evidence-based clinical treatment
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Weekly family recovery workshops
- Nutritious chef-prepared meals
- Gender-separate living accommodations
- Round-the-clock on-site medical staff
- Meditation and yoga
- Serene and secluded location
The New Norm
Holistic treatment is the new norm in the medical industry. Avoid relapse issues, long-term health conditions and cut treatment costs by giving holistic mental health treatment a try. Be in charge of your health and live longer.
Ensure you choose a reliable holistic provider to avoid future issues related to your mental health. Check out our services today and get the help you deserve.