East Haven Addiction Treatment Resources
In May 1707, Iron Works Village was granted its petition for township, renaming the area East Haven and keeping it ever since. East Haven is just 3 miles east of New Haven, making it part of the Greater New Haven area. Today, East Haven is one of many Connecticut cities offering a wide range of drug and alcohol addiction treatment options.
The good news is that in recent years, the Constitution State saw a small decrease in overdoses due to drugs. However, there is still quite a way to go to solve this epidemic. In 2019, there were 1,088 overdose deaths compared to 1,017 the year before. In 2019 in East Haven, 441 individuals sought treatment for substance abuse.
How and Why to Get Help for Drug Addiction
If you find yourself unable to stop taking drugs even though you want to and even if you know there is harm in your drug use, addiction is likely. Ask yourself a few questions if you’re concerned about suffering from substance use disorder:
- Do you often think about drugs?
- Have you ever tried and failed to stop using drugs?
- Do you doubt you can have a good time without using drugs?
- Does thinking about not having drugs scare you?
- Have you ever made mistakes at school or work due to drugs?
- Have you ever overdosed or ended up in the hospital?
If you answered yes to some or all questions, the presence of addiction is possible. It can happen to anyone at any age.
Addiction Treatment FAQs
- Why can’t I stop myself? Using drugs repeatedly changes a person’s brain, including the parts that allow someone to maintain their self-control. These changes have been proven to exist in brain imaging studies, and it explains why it’s hard to force yourself to stop drugs even when you know you want to stop.
- Will I have to stop drugs right away? The first stage of recovery from substance use disorder is detoxification. This is the process by which people stop using drugs and get rid of any trace of the substance from their bodies. This is an important step to achieve because drugs impair the mind and inhibit a person’s ability to succeed in treatment. When someone stops using drugs, they can develop several withdrawal symptoms, including anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and restlessness. The right treatment center has experienced staff who can help residents get through the process safely.
- Where do I start looking for help? The most important step is to ask for help. You can start with your general doctor for a referral, or you can often access campus resources if you’re a student. East Haven offers access to a wide range of treatment options, such as Granite Recovery Centers.
- What should I look for in a rehab? The right treatment facility will tailor its treatment plan to the individual client, understanding that every person and their history of addiction are unique.
Types of Treatment Available
Because the best treatment involves a customized approach for each resident, there isn’t a single perfect plan that covers everyone. Treatment can include therapy programs, detox and aftercare support among other choices. Different Connecticut rehabs offer different services, and each one is meant to work for the specific individual. For example, someone who wants treatment for alcohol will require a different plan of treatment compared to someone seeking treatment for heroin addiction, and so on.
The several types of alcohol and drug addiction treatment facilities in East Haven are designed to help clients overcome substance use disorder and return to normal society without the crutch of drugs. Recovery requires dedication, determination, and support from loved ones and those around you.
In East Haven, addiction therapy can encourage a person to feel more confident taking action in their treatment. It can also teach healthier ways to cope with the stresses of life and resist the cravings in the future. Many programs offer advice to help patients manage the days spent in rehab while also giving them the tools needed to help themselves once they return home.
Behavioral therapy helps clients mend broken relationships with loved ones, improve their ability to communicate effectively and learn to behave in healthier ways after completing rehab.
Depending on the East Haven rehab you choose, there are several types of therapy options available; it’s standard to find both group and individual therapy opportunities at a rehab clinic. Individual therapy sessions give patients a private space to talk one-on-one with a licensed counselor, discussing the underlying root causes of addiction. Group therapy sessions, on the other hand, provide solidarity with others who can relate to the situation and can offer their support. Patients can even help distract one another from temptations and cravings, promoting abstinence for everyone in the group.
Other forms of therapy set aside safe spaces for specific groups of people, such as by gender or by age group. For instance, some women may only feel comfortable discussing their concerns in a room with other women while adolescent groups may need a particular focus on strengthening the bonds with their parents.
Medically Assisted Treatment
There are several medications designed to help the body stay safe and stable during detoxification and the severe symptoms of withdrawal. Sometimes, medications are given to a patient in combination with one another depending on the circumstances.
Different medications are used to treat different forms of substance use disorder. For instance, naltrexone, methadone and buprenorphine are used to treat those who are detoxing from an opiate while varenicline can be used to treat tobacco addiction withdrawal as well as anxiety. The various treatments for substances that impact the brain tend to be similar, so some overlap does occur.
It is also beneficial to undergo behavioral therapy when taking one or more of these medications. This form of therapy can help those in recovery break the cycles that are notorious in drug use.
While some substances can be fought with medication, not all of them have anything to lessen their withdrawal symptoms. When this happens, it is necessary to combine medical supervision with behavioral therapy to ensure the patient remains safe.
Those who have already been to an inpatient facility in Connecticut and detoxed know how daunting it can feel to go back to daily life without the usual network of support. They’ll likely encounter the same situations and people that originally drove them to use drugs. By taking advantage of outpatient rehab and other aftercare support systems, those who recently went through rehab and broke off from using a drug can continue to learn new coping methods to stay sober.
Granite Recovery Centers
Granite Recovery Centers is a family of treatment centers located throughout New Hampshire and available to residents in neighboring states. While some East Haven rehab facilities only offer the phone numbers to sponsors upon graduation, Granite Recovery Centers goes the extra mile by incorporating the 12-step program directly into its treatment plans.
Patients who take residence at one of the centers, such as Green Mountain Treatment Center or New Freedom Academy, immediately start learning about the 12 steps the day they arrive. Part of every client’s treatment plan is to engage with the 12 steps and complete the prescribed work while undergoing clinical treatment for addiction.
Green Mountain Treatment Center
Green Mountain Treatment Center is an upscale rehab facility located in Effingham, New Hampshire. At the facility, clients can see the White Mountains from the 72-acre campus, which is sprawling with quiet, secluded nature. Adult men and women can take residence here to overcome substance use disorder or a dual diagnosis. As with all Granite Recovery Centers facilities, Green Mountain Treatment Center combines the 12-step program with evidence-based therapies and other holistic methods.
- Facility and Meals: All residents enjoy luxury accommodations for the duration of their stay at Green Mountain Treatment Center. The residential rehab can house 75 people at a time. Each double-occupancy bedroom comes with two full-sized beds and a single bathroom that the two roommates share but is otherwise private. Though the program treats both women and men, the two genders are separated across campus and need not interact with one another. The women’s dorm is in a private part of the campus, and the men’s sleeping quarters are within the main building, which also houses the common room for socialization and the cafeteria. In the cafeteria, clients enjoy meals made by an onsite chef. In addition to nutritious meals, clients have access to coffee and a salad bar in the dining area. If a resident has food preferences or allergies, then these can be accommodated.
- Staff and Treatment: Those who choose Green Mountain Treatment Center to help them overcome an addiction aim to internalize the 12 steps wherever they go. To meet this goal, treatment at the facility works with that framework in mind, including CBT, DBT, individual and group therapy, EMDR and experiential therapy options to help patients reconcile their past trauma.
Green Mountain Treatment Center is capable of monitoring a patient through medical detox before beginning inpatient treatment. This process may take up to seven days.
Residents typically stay between one and three months, but specific cases can result in shorter or longer stays as needed. During their stay, the men and women don’t interact with one another, remaining separate for the duration of their stay. Though the treatment plans are structurally similar, each program is also gender-specific. Every day, clients attend multiple group sessions and set aside time to complete chores, meditate and study their AA book. Clients with dual diagnoses can also access medication management services with a psychiatrist.
New Freedom Academy
Another one of Granite Recovery Centers’ facilities, New Freedom Academy follows much of the same approach as the Green Mountain Treatment Center. At New Freedom Academy, the staff believes that custom, individualized plans are necessary for each patient and that women and men require different approaches to heal their addictions and meet their needs. In all cases, however, the common thread is the 12-step program approach, incorporated into all treatment plans with compassion and professional care.
Compared to its sister facility, New Freedom Academy is more intimate, offering only 20 beds for clients at any given time. The campus is also smaller but no less beautiful, resting on 17 acres of central New Hampshire.
Recently, the facility was renovated, so all of the rooms are now stylishly furnished. Rooms can either be double- or single-occupancy, and they come with one or two twin beds, closets and desks. Residents must share the bathrooms, but the facilities are regularly cleaned and are always spacious and modern. A second building on the campus houses a 100-person meeting room, various group rooms for therapies and clinical offices for treatment.
In the cafe building, an onsite chef prepares meals for the clients from a nutritious, dietitian-designed menu. Clients can have their special dietary requirements accommodated upon request. Lastly, there are snacks for the residents to access around-the-clock.
If you are seeking addiction treatment for you or a loved one near East Haven, Connecticut, know that help is available.