Lynn Addiction Treatment Resources
Lynn, Massachusetts, the ninth-largest city in the state, has a population of more than 89,000 and the town has developed into an urban manufacturing and commercial center. The town sits along the Massachusetts Bay in the eastern part of the state.
As can be imagined, a city as large as Lynn deals with many of the issues that most cities of its size deal with, including substance use disorder. In 2017, 1,858 people from Lynn were admitted to substance use disorder treatment centers. The majority of those admitted were men, at almost 62 percent. Almost 38 percent of those admitted were between the ages of 31 and 40 while just over 72 percent had never been married.
Opioid addiction continues to be a major issue in Massachusetts, and Lynn is no exception. Over the past five years, there has been a steady increase in opioid deaths in Lynn. In 2014,42 people died due to opioids, and that number rose to a high of 63 in 2017, an increase of 34 percent.
Substance addiction affects more than just the person who is addicted. When pregnant mothers drink alcohol or use drugs, it can have significant health impacts on the baby. A child could be born with neonatal abstinence syndrome, which may cause tremors, sleeping and feeding problems as well as seizures. Children may have developmental problems or attention and thinking issues along with other health problems. There is some research that indicates these issues could extend into a child’s teen years, causing additional developmental and mental problems.
Getting Help for Substance Use Disorder
There are many different types of treatment for substance use disorder, but it is often residential treatment centers that provide the best outcome. The programs place you or your loved one in a controlled setting where you live full-time. The level of addiction determines how long you will need to remain in the facility and could be anywhere from a month to a year or more. There are addiction treatment centers near Lynn with beautiful views of mountains and lakes that provide a serene location where you or a loved one can start on a path of sober living.
Residential Treatment Centers Near Lynn
Most residential treatment centers use a 12-step program as the basis for their substance addiction recovery. The reason for this is that 12-step programs have been proven highly effective in helping people overcome addiction. In fact, a study conducted by the National Institutes of Health concluded that 12-step programs are not only easily accessible, there is clear evidence that they provide better outcomes than other types of programs as long as there is early involvement, meetings are attended and the person is fully engaged in recovery activities.
The center usually also offers additional types of therapy in combination with the 12-step program. Some of these may include:
- Clinician-facilitated psychotherapy – individual and group therapy sessions are used to help you or a loved one work through issues that may stand in the way of recovery. The clinical intervention is designed to help you gain an understanding of the issues that may have led you onto a path of substance misuse.
- Cognitive behavior therapy – helps you deal with thoughts and emotions that may trigger harmful behavior. This type of therapy can help you develop alternatives to harmful behavior.
- Dialectical behavior therapy – deals with the exaggerated emotional response to things that may cause stress and lead to substance use.
- Trauma therapy – helps you deal with PTSD or other emotional factors that may have been caused by trauma and helps you identify how you compulsively respond. By understanding those factors and your response, you can learn to bypass harmful behavior.
- Grief and loss therapy – in one-on-one sessions, the residential treatment facility explores characteristics, sources and coping mechanisms related to grief and loss. Pain related to grief or loss can trigger unhealthy behaviors, including substance use disorder.
Green Mountain Treatment Center offers these services and more with sweeping views of the White Mountains and a beautiful landscape of rolling hills, apple orchards and fresh mountain air. At Green Mountain, you can move into a life of recovery not simply by removing yourself from substance use but also by addressing the underlying causes of what led you to addiction.
Detox Near Lynn
When you first enter a treatment facility, you will need to detoxify from the many chemicals you have been putting in your body. Green Mountain offers medical detox options to help you manage withdrawal from drugs or alcohol. Because withdrawal from some types of drugs can be extremely difficult, 24-hour medical monitoring is necessary. Withdrawal from opiates may include symptoms similar to the flu while withdrawal from alcohol and other substances can lead to significant health problems that require medical attention. In addition, there is a wide range in how long withdrawal can last depending on the substance and length of use. Withdrawal from alcohol can take between five and seven days while withdrawal from opioids can take as long as 21 days or more.
Additional Substance Use Disorder Treatments Near Lynn
Psychotherapeutic support is a critical part of the recovery process, but there are other tools that can be used as well to help you or a loved one head down the path of sober living. New Freedom Academy also offers holistic therapies to address the mind, body and spirit. You will participate in yoga, meditation and physical exercise in an effort to treat the whole person. There is evidence that physical exercise can boost endorphins which reduce stress, increase self-confidence and improve your overall mental health. Off-site Family Recovery Workshops also help heal the entire family, promoting the chance of success as you or your loved one move through treatment. New Freedom Academy sits on 17 private wooded acres, offering you or your loved one a beautiful, secluded setting that is more intimate than larger treatment centers. At New Freedom Academy, they understand that finding strength of heart and mind is critical to overcoming alcohol and drug addiction as well as continuing to live a life free of substance use long after treatment.
Partial-Residential Treatment Centers Near Lynn
Another option if you or your loved one do not need a fully residential treatment center or are at the point you can leave a residential center but are not quite ready to return home is a partial-residential program. In this type of treatment, you remain in the center for a certain number of hours each week, usually attending sessions for several hours each day. You receive a combination of medical services and therapies in one location rather than going from one location to another to continue treatment. You have access to doctors, pharmacies, psychologists and more on a regular basis, which can help you remain on a sober path. Partial-residential centers are often used to gradually move your loved one from a residential center to independent living.
One of the benefits to a partial-residential center is that you have more freedom while still providing the structure that many people suffering from substance use disorder need. Because everyone’s situation is different, each program must also be different. For some, putting their life on hold to enter residential treatment is not possible due to work or family obligations. In those cases, a partial-residential treatment center may be a better option, especially if you have a strong support system around you.
Outpatient Treatment Programs
Once you or your loved one are ready to move from either a residential or partial-residential program, there is one other step that you should consider. An outpatient treatment program allows you to schedule sessions throughout the week at times that best suit your needs. You can continue to meet your family and work obligations while continuing on a path to sober living. The general focus on outpatient treatment is regular, consistent counseling and a strong support system.
There are different types of outpatient programs as well. Day programs provide the most care and structure, often requiring you to commit to five to seven meetings per week at the facility. During the meetings, you will undergo therapy, counseling, biofeedback or other types of methods used to address substance use disorder. You may either return home or to a special sober living facility after the sessions.
An intensive outpatient program establishes a treatment plan with specific milestones that will indicate your progress. As you meet the milestones, your requirements at the treatment program will decrease. This type of outpatient program is especially helpful if you have work or family obligations but are committed to getting sober.
Non-Residential Treatment Centers
Once you or a loved one has completed treatment, maintaining sobriety is critical. Aftercare and recovery meetings can help you remain clean and sober. You can choose from several different options in the Lynn area. Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous offers the following open meetings to help keep you or your loved one on track:
- Open meetings: An open AA or NA meeting is open to anyone. Meetings that include discussion have a designated chairperson who speaks briefly about their experience, strength and hope. After the chairperson speaks, they may suggest a topic for sharing by others. Speaker discussion meetings have initial speakers that talk about their experience, strength and hope then start discussions about topics in their speech.
- Beginner meetings: Beginner meetings are led by more experienced group members with the primary focus of introducing new members to the tools available to them through AA. Beginners are not restricted to those types of meetings, however. They are designed to help newly sober members meet peers as they start living sober lives.
- Just for Today meetings: Just for Today meetings focus on the Just for Today book of NA, providing you or your loved one with tips, ideas and suggestions to keep thoughts on recovery, faith in NA and focus on overcoming addiction. Step Study uses the book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions from AA as a focus for the meetings. Depending on the group, a new step is read and discussed each week. Members also read and discuss individual paragraphs, each one building on the week before.
Although there are many substance use disorder treatment options in Lynn, many people who suffer from addiction choose a location outside of their immediate area. In some cases, getting a fresh perspective and moving into a new environment can increase the chances of success in treatment.
The first step in treating addiction is recognizing the problem. Whether you choose to enter a residential treatment facility or seek other types of treatment, it is possible to live your life clean and sober without being dependent on drugs or alcohol. Green Mountain Treatment Center and New Freedom Academy offer a wide range of programs designed to help you or a loved one overcome substance use disorder. The programs focus on the psychological aspects of the disease as well as holistic treatments that have been proven effective in the treatment of drug and alcohol addiction. Help is just around the corner. Contact us today to learn more about our services.