Hartford Addiction Treatment Resources
By the time Connecticut’s first colonists arrived in the area in the early 1600s, Native American tribes had already inhabited the land for millennia. In fact, the colony got its name from the Algonquin word quinnetukut, which means “long tidal river.” Over time, Hartford has become one of the Constitution State’s most successful cities. Today, the city is known for its ties to Mark Twain and for the Colt Manufacturing Company. Unfortunately, this city has also suffered the impact of the national opioid crisis.
Public health officials in Hartford report an increase in fentanyl and opioid overdoses. Addiction has steadily increased in Hartford over the last couple of years, but Connecticut offers a wealth of drug intervention and treatment services to combat the problem.
Addiction can be hard but it’s important to know that you are not alone. In fact, in 2019, 4,564 people sought treatment for substance use in Hartford.
How and Why to Get Help for Drug Addiction in Hartford
The first step in any addiction treatment plan is to acknowledge dependence on the drug. Then, it’s crucial to find the right treatment program that will focus on the person’s entire well-being, overall health and general happiness.
Fortunately, there are many options to pick for treatment. For instance, those who suffer from more severe forms of addiction will first undergo detox before moving onto an inpatient rehab facility. Others may start right at the facility or get their treatment from an outpatient center while continuing to live at home. It’s important to seek professional help because addiction is difficult to fight alone. Regardless of the exact treatment plan, it’s best to continue attending aftercare groups for support in post-rehab life.
What If Your Friends Don’t Believe You?
If you believe you have an addiction but your friends insist otherwise, ask yourself a few questions before accepting their response:
- Do these friends drink or use drugs? If they do, they might be worried about losing one of their party friends. Often, these friends will also have addictions that they’re not ready to admit exist. True friends will support each other’s decision to live a sober life when it’s the best thing for them.
- Have you hidden your drug use from these friends? They might not even realize there is a problem if you haven’t revealed it to them. This could be the first time they’ve heard about your use of drugs and couldn’t imagine how there is truth to it. They might even worry that they’re not good friends by failing to notice. Take the opportunity to be honest and open about what you’re feeling.
- Would you tell these friends if they had a problem? If you couldn’t imagine confronting a friend about their addiction, maybe the relationship doesn’t lend itself to that degree of honesty. They might worry that the friendship will fall apart if the issue is acknowledged.
In all cases, it’s best to get a diagnosis from a mental health professional or a doctor.
Rehab Is the Next Step
If you want to get sober and recover from an addiction, treatment is the best way to go about it. Beating an addiction requires tackling behavioral issues beyond physical dependence. Quitting cold turkey on your own will not change any of the psychological dependence.
Alcohol and drug addiction is a terrible condition that wreaks havoc in the lives of those affected. Fortunately, Connecticut offers a variety of treatment programs for Hartford residents. The diversity of programs can be mind-boggling, especially with how different each type of treatment can be, but finding the right treatment is important. What works perfectly for one person may be completely ineffective for another.
Sobriety is an important goal to achieve, which is why it’s crucial to get the right treatment. An effective program makes it more likely that a client will maintain the skills they learn during rehab, meaning they’ll leave sober and continue being sober even in regular society. Of course, it can be a challenge to narrow down that initial choice. Loved ones can help an addicted individual research the treatment centers available in and around Hartford, Connecticut, to find a good fit.
Inpatient facilities provide structured treatment methods meant to address all angles of a resident’s addiction. During this treatment, a client will live at the facility, which is free from substances. The client will also have access to medical care and therapists around the clock, every day. People who suffer from chronic substance use disorder or a dual diagnosis with a behavioral or mental disorder would benefit greatly from an inpatient facility.
Another form of comprehensive drug addiction treatment, outpatient rehab facilities offer most of the same evidence-based therapies and treatments found at inpatient clinics. The main difference, though, is that clients of an outpatient rehab can continue to live at home while they attend services at the clinic. This helps facilitate an environment where patients can keep caring for their families and going to work while undergoing treatment for addiction.
Unlike with inpatient facilities, outpatient rehab patients continue to live in the real world. That means outpatient clients are more likely to come across the old triggers that led to their using drugs in the first place. With that in mind, an outpatient facility is better for those who have already been through inpatient treatment and are looking to “step down” back into the real world. Often, this form of treatment is combined with a sober house program.
Detox allows a client to safely stop using alcohol or drugs until the substance is no longer found in the body. For most recovering clients, it’s the first step before entering an inpatient facility for further treatment. Granite Recovery Centers provides medical detoxification for people who do not need immediate medical intervention, are not a danger to themselves, and are capable of self-evacuation in the event of an emergency.
In more severe cases, stopping the use of a drug causes withdrawal symptoms so severe that medical-assisted therapy is needed to ease the side effects. Any medications prescribed at this point will be tapered down until the resident no longer needs that medication either.
Aftercare Support Groups
Once addiction treatment ends, it’s strongly recommended to continue seeing a support group. These groups are vital to the long-term success of the coping methods learned in rehab. The people you meet in these groups can even become friends; at the very least, they’ll be sources of encouragement throughout recovery.
Green Mountain Treatment Center
Green Mountain Treatment Center is a 72-acre campus in serene Effingham, New Hampshire. Adult men and women suffering from substance use disorder and dual diagnoses can benefit from the facility’s comprehensive treatment plans, which includes incorporation of the 12-Step Program.
The residential facilities at Green Mountain Treatment Center are equipped with 75 beds for clients. On the campus, residents can walk along paved paths and enjoy an apple orchard along with several luxury accommodations. The men and women do not interact with each other during their stay at the treatment center; the residences are gender-separate and are on opposite sides of the campus. The men sleep in the main building where the cafeteria and relaxation rooms are, and the women get two cabins in a private area farther into the property.
In both cases, residents share their bedroom and a private bathroom with one roommate, and the rooms are all spacious, comfortable and furnished with dressers and full beds. The facilities have a rustic style, especially in the women’s cabins. Both sides of campus have their own living rooms and lounging areas, and they are both equipped with large TVs, comfortable couches and dining rooms.
The main dining room is spacious with high ceilings and a light fixture that warmly illuminates the area. An on-site chef manages a staff who cooks nutritious meals three times a day. Residents can also enjoy fruit, dessert, coffee, and a salad bar.
- Treatment Approach: Like the dorms, the treatment programs are separate and gender-specific. In both cases, residents attend several group sessions each day while setting aside time for book study, chores and meditation. Every day, clients attend 12-step meetings off-campus and also participate in psycho-educational groups. For those who need it, a dual-diagnosis program gives residents regular access to a psychiatrist and medication management. On a typical day, residents wake up early, meditate and complete rotating chores. After breakfast, they attend a community meeting and then go to either a relapse prevention group or another form of group therapy until lunch. Every week, individual therapy is also included as needed per client. Depending on the client’s needs, these individual sessions will take a variety of potential approaches. During the weekend, clients have the freedom to visit with their family or participate in fun group activities, such as Movie Night.
- Amenities: During their free time, residents can go to the on-site gym, which has yoga mats, treadmills, free weights, elliptical machines, Stairmasters and stationary bikes. Some degree of exercise is also part of the treatment plan. Finally, a greenhouse for gardening is near the men’s facility.
New Freedom Academy
A 20-bed facility, New Freedom Academy is one of Granite Recovery Centers’ smaller clinics for treating substance use disorder. It’s located on 17 acres in the middle of New Hampshire, and it’s available to adult men and women from Hartford and all over New England. There is also a dual-diagnosis program available for those who suffer from a co-occurring disorder like anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder.
- Detox: Medical detox is available at New Freedom Academy, managed by licensed physicians who prioritize the care of their patients to ensure they safely withdraw from substance use in minimal discomfort. In addition to physicians, this team of medical experts includes licensed nursing assistants, registered nurses and nurse practitioners.
- Inpatient Treatment: As a residential facility, New Freedom Academy offers programs that include housing and meals alongside treatment for addiction. At New Freedom Academy, residents can separate themselves from their normal lives and focus exclusively on getting over their addiction. The staff also tailors all treatment plans to meet each resident’s individual needs.
- 12-Step Program: New Freedom Academy, like the rest of Granite Recovery Centers facilities, structures its treatment fully around 12-step traditions and principles. Treatment itself is not a 12-step program, so simply attending AA will not achieve the same degree of support, but the facility does recommend it as a form of aftercare support upon graduating rehab. Attempting to return to society without continuing to take an active engagement in your recovery will almost always lead to relapse.
- Customized Treatment: New Freedom Academy customizes treatment on an individual basis, unlike some facilities that attempt to employ a single method of treatment for all residents to follow. For instance, all Granite Recovery Centers facilities consider a client’s age, existing medical conditions, normal lifestyle, the specific substance in question and any religious beliefs.
- Aftercare Plan Design: Part of graduating from New Freedom Academy includes helping to plan and agreeing to follow an aftercare plan. This may be as simple as attending regularly scheduled meetings after work while continuing to live at home, or it could involve staying at a sober living facility for several months. Specific details will be figured out between the client and his or her care team.
- Holistic Therapies: Addiction treatment involves more than focusing on the substance. New Freedom Academy focuses on the entire person, adding several holistic treatment options to the overall recovery plan. The care team considers a client’s physical, vocational, familial and spiritual aspects.
If you or a loved one in Hartford is struggling with addiction, know that help is available. Our Admissions Specialists are available 24/7 to discuss the best options for you or your loved one. Please give us a call today.