South Kingstown, Rhode Island
South Kingstown, RI, was settled in 1641 and incorporated in 1674. The area has formerly been known as Kings Towne as well as Rochester. In 1722, the city was divided up into north and south. In 1892, the University of Rhode Island was founded near Kingston. The university plays a factor in the economic and cultural life of the area as do the nearby beaches, farmlands and landmarks.
Drug Rehab Center South South-Kingstown
In 2010, South Kingstown had a population of 30,639, and the average household income was $84,1900. Despite all this, South Kingstown and Rhode Island are not immune to the current overdose epidemic occurring throughout the United States.
If you believe you are suffering from a drug addiction or abusing alcohol, there is help available.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Overdose Statistics
In 2017, Rhode Island saw 26.9 deaths involving opioids per 100,000 people. This was higher than the national average of 14.6 deaths per 100,000. The number of deaths related to fentanyl has risen at alarming rates in the last several years. There were 12 deaths in 2012 related to fentanyl, which rose to 201 deaths in 2017. There was also a spike in heroin-related deaths.
The Center for Health Data and Analysis released the Rhode Island Municipality Overdose Data Report in June 2019. The report delivered several findings:
• South Kingstown saw 12.6% of emergency visits to the hospital related to opioid overdoses in 2018. This was above the rate for the county and the state.
• The percentage of South Kingstown opioid overdose-related emergency visits for those who were younger than 35 was higher at 69% than the statewide percentage of 53%.
• In terms of male-to-female ratio, South Kingston saw 76% male to 24% female, which was similar to the ratio for Rhode Island.
• Of those who made emergency visits for opioid overdose in South Kingstown, a lower percentage was discharged at 60%. The percentage for Rhode Island in general was 65%.
• Of those who made an opioid overdose emergency visit in the South Kingstown, 91% were treated at South County Hospital.
A similar study found that in Rhode Island, 51.2 opioid prescriptions were being written for every 100 people.
It is important to understand that the epidemic is occurring across the country, so if you are someone struggling with an opioid addiction, you are not alone. It is also not uncommon to be experiencing concurring issues such as declining mental health and alcohol abuse.
One study found that binge drinking in South Kingstown was higher than the national average. It is estimated that 54,000 people under the age of 21 are consuming alcohol illicitly annually in the state of Rhode Island. In terms of marijuana, the study found that individuals as young as 12 years old were already consuming the substance in 2014. Medical professionals continue to warn that those who begin consuming any kind of drug or alcohol at a younger age are more likely to develop an addiction.
Getting Help: How and Why
When it comes to confronting your addiction, you may feel despair. This is not uncommon. You are encouraged to find yourself and realize that getting treatment is in your best interest. Those who do not beat their addiction may end up homeless, but you don’t have to experience that sort of “rock bottom” before you get help. There are so many resources around you today. Medical professionals are well-equipped to help people overcome dependence to drugs or alcohol. Many professionals have continued to study the issue so that the medical community understands how a given addiction got started, what caused it and how they can treat it.
Getting help is as easy as calling a number or stopping by an Alcoholics or Narcotics Anonymous meeting in South Kingstown. Once you feel a little better, you can begin looking into rehab centers.
Types of Treatment Available
Thanks to the research that has netted more insight into the overdose epidemic in the United States, there more types of treatment available to those who need it.
Typical treatment programs include:
• Outpatient treatment
• Inpatient treatment
• Residential treatment
• Recovery housing
Within those categories are common forms of treatment such as counseling, meditation and outings.
On the local level, government leaders have taken it upon themselves to set up dispensaries and spaces for those struggling with addiction. The goal is to ensure that you do not wind up on the street where you can be a danger to yourself.
The South Kingstown Partnership for Prevention program was set up to engage in substance abuse prevention activities while employing several strategies for helping drug users in recovery.
The Cost of Rehab Treatment
For some, the cost of rehab treatment can seem daunting. If you have become addicted, however, getting clean is less expensive than remaining overpowered by the disease.
There are several ways to pay for rehabilitation including:
• Sliding scale
• Out of pocket
When you find the rehabilitation program that best fits your needs, an admissions specialist can go over your options with you.
Several factors determine the ultimate cost of a rehab program. Some are:
• Facility type
• Length of stay
• Type of addiction
• Amenities offered
The most expensive rehab centers are the ones that offer luxury amenities. These centers tend to be in desirable locations and offer state-of-the-art amenities because patients cover those costs through their fees.
If you are simply searching for help in overcoming the disease of addiction, there are plenty of private options at lower rates. Here are some estimates to consider:
• $250 to $800 per day for detox. The importance of detoxing cannot be overstated. In order to begin the healing process, your substance of choice has to leave your system as do all the toxins that the substance leaves in your body. The detox stage usually leads to withdrawal. The more severe the withdrawal symptoms are, more medical help is necessary. In the worst-case scenario, experiencing withdrawal alone can lead to death. Under the watchful eye of a trained, medical staff, though, it does not have to arrive at that point. An equipped staff has the tools to help patients ease in and out of withdrawal with minimal trauma.
• $2,000 to $20,000 for a basic residential treatment. If you check into a 30-day program, the fees you are charged are going to cover your room and board. The more state-of-the-art the facility is, the more likely it is to charge higher fees. More amenities usually lead to higher costs, too. If you require a program that will last 60 or 90 days, you can estimate the total cost to be double or triple the estimate.
• $5,000 for three-month outpatient rehab program. Since an outpatient rehab program does not offer patients room and board, the costs are less than an inpatient treatment course. This is an option that sets up a series of appointments. At those appointments, you might receive counseling and educational sessions. The goal is to help you overcome your addiction as you learn to stay sober while living in your home environment.
• $3,000 to $10,000 for 30 days of intensive outpatient rehab treatment. For some, an outpatient program alone can be challenging, so there is an intensive version available too. Each session is longer so that the patient has more time to work through their triggers.
• $350 to $450 per day for partial hospitalization. This is a variation of the outpatient program. Patients have the opportunity to receive treatment during the day. At night, they go home better equipped to deal with their environment and triggers.
• $5,980 per year for medication-assisted opioid treatment. This is a common approach that medical professionals are taking to solving the current opioid overdose epidemic at levels including local and federal. The goal is to wean patients off the strongest opioids onto medications that are less severe.
Keep in mind that while you are trying to figure what your next step to combating your addiction is, there are free programs such as anonymous recovery groups. Sometimes, attending a meeting helps you get through the next hour, day and night. This is a great stepping stone until you find a treatment center that fits your circumstances.
Benefits of Checking Into a Private Rehabilitation Facility
Those who require immediate attention are encouraged to visit their local clinic or hospital. States like Rhode Island provide residents with emergency attention. These are short-term solutions, though. To truly combat your disease, you are encouraged to find a rehabilitation center. There, patients receive the treatment that helps them detox, uncover the reasons why they fell into addiction in the first place and then learn how to live in a sober manner again.
Private rehabilitation centers are a great option. Since they are funded with the fees that are charged to the patients directly or via insurance, the centers have the ability to ensure that their programs are run by the most qualified staff with desirable amenities and effective programs. Two examples of private rehabilitation centers to consider are Green Mountain Treatment Center and New Freedom Academy. New Freedom Academy is located in Canterbury, NH, while Green Mountain Treatment Center is located in Effingham, NH.
Features That Green Mountain Treatment Center Offers
Located on rolling hills in New Hampshire and among apple orchards, Green Mountain ensures that patients receive plenty of fresh mountain air, which is helpful for recovery. The location provides views of the White Mountains and the Lakes Region. An environment that provides plenty of scenic views and space to wander helps reduce stress and anxiety. It could simply be due to the quiet and peaceful tendencies of this setting. Green Mountain Treatment Center is also secluded. Keeping you away from the surroundings that triggered your addiction gives you the opportunity to heal without any distractions.
This center is focused on a 12-step-centered curriculum. The curriculum is integrated with other therapies that complement each other. Since medical professionals in the rehabilitation field have access to more information and data, they understand that customizing patient treatment plans is likely to deliver better and long-lasting results. Here, patients will receive therapy that includes education, counseling and evidence-based clinical treatment.
Desirable amenities are included such as nutritious chef-prepared meals, transportation as needed and an onsite gym as well as meditation and yoga. Visit the Green Mountain Treatment Center’s website for more information.
Features That New Freedom Academy Offers
A secluded residential, medication-assisted addiction treatment center, New Freedom Academy sits on 17 acres of land that are situated in the rolling countryside of New Hampshire. There are only 20 beds, so only 20 patients are accepted at a time. This ensures that there is a low patient-to-staff ratio, so every patient receives plenty of individual attention.
The programs include one-on-one individual therapy, process groups and treatment for co-occurring mental disorders. Medication-assisted treatment, holistic therapies and cognitive behavioral therapy are also offered. Even though two patients may be suffering from the same addiction, the stories of how they fell into it are most likely completely different. Medical professionals have found that every patient has to be treated as an individual in order to raise the odds of successful treatment and healing.
Activity outings, 24/7 onsite medical staff and chef-prepared meals are some of the amenities that patients can enjoy while healing from their addiction. For more information, visit New Freedom Academy’s website.
Overcoming your addiction is important for your well-being. When you are no longer overpowered by your substance of choice, you can return to a happy and fulfilling life. The good news is that help is readily available at the local and state level as well as in the private sector.