New Britain, Connecticut
Located just to the southwest of Hartford, New Britain is a bustling city filled with residential and educational areas. The town is known for its Polish culture, art museums and universities. There are many reasons to be proud to be a New Britain resident, but that does not mean everything in the city is perfect. Many people in the area are struggling with addiction to drugs, alcohol or prescription medications. Gaining awareness of the New Britain drug epidemic will help you learn how to identify addiction and discover the resources available to addicted individuals.
Best Rehab Centers New-Britain
Addiction in New Britain Is More Common Than You Might Think
The first thing to realize if you or a loved one is struggling with addiction is that you are not alone. Connecticut is currently in the middle of a public health crisis due to the high rates of addiction. There are many factors contributing to this problem, including high crime rates and a struggling economy. Connecticut residents are more likely to die from an accidental drug overdose than in a vehicle accident. The state’s rate of addiction and overdose is roughly twice as high as the national average. The most frequently misused substance is heroin or other opioids followed by alcohol and cocaine.
New Britain has been struck particularly badly by this epidemic. A report from the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services finds that 2,256 residents sought care from the DMHAS for an addiction in 2018. When you consider the number of people who have addiction but do not even seek help, you can see that thousands of people in New Britain struggle with addiction. For many of these residents, the consequences can be fatal. A 2019 report from the Office of the Medical Examiner found that New Britain has the fifth highest rate of deadly overdoses in the state.
Deciding If You Need to Go to Rehab
For many people, one of the hardest things is recognizing that they have an addiction and deserve to get help. If you are dependent on a drug, then you have an addiction that requires treatment. The most obvious sign of a dependency is going into withdrawal every time you quit using the substance. This means your body needs the alcohol or drugs to function normally, so when you quit taking them for a few hours or days, you end up feeling physically sick. Addiction also has a strong mental component, so it changes the way you behave and interact with others. Here are some of the common signs that you have an addiction:
• You want to stop using drugs or alcohol but cannot.
• You lie about the amount you use or hide your use of the substance.
• You make unsafe decisions while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• You have neglected important responsibilities to use drugs or alcohol.
• You are experiencing financial difficulty due to the use of drugs or alcohol.
• You need more and more to get the same effect.
• You need the substance to celebrate, have a good time or cope with stress.
If you are addicted, it is important to not give up hope. Remember that addiction is an illness just like any other health problem, not a sign of weakness that you should feel ashamed about. Being able to admit that you want help is the first step toward recovery. Just being able to reach out and work with a substance misuse center is incredibly brave. Statistically, the most common reason people do not get help is because they do not feel ready to stop using drugs or alcohol. To get motivated, you may need to consider the negative consequences of your addiction and realize that treatment can be potentially life-saving.
How to Encourage a Loved One to Enter Rehab in New Britain
Of course, things may be even more challenging if you are not the one who needs to go to rehab. Identifying addiction in another person often relies on being very observant. Signs that a person may be dealing with addiction depend on the drugs they may be abusing. Some things to look out for include:
• Sudden mood swings
• Constant discussion of drug use
• Lack of interest in old hobbies or activities
• Weight changes
• Poor hygiene
• Inability to focus
• Struggles with sleeping
If you think a friend or family member is struggling with addiction, you need to talk to them. Remember that you cannot force a person to go to rehab unless you take legal steps to show that they are mentally incompetent. Instead, you will usually need to convince them to go of their own volition.
Pick a time when they are as sober as possible and avoid trying to ambush them with a massive group of people. Instead, choose a few loved ones to talk to the person calmly and gently. Try to focus on the fact that you are feeling concerned instead of being accusatory or argumentative. Be prepared with what you will say, so you will know how to answer objections like “It’s too pricey” or “Rehab never works.” Bring up a few good potential centers and encourage your loved one to check them out.
What Are the Different Types of Rehab in New Britain?
When you start looking for substance misuse treatment centers in New Britain, you will find that most of them are categorized based on the type of care they offer. Treatment for drug addiction typically comes in a few basic forms.
• Inpatient rehab: Also called residential rehab, this is a treatment where you move into a center for a few weeks or months. It helps provide you with a relaxing place to get a fresh start.
• Outpatient rehab: This style of rehab lets you live at home and come into the center for therapy and programs on a regular basis. It works well in cases of mild addiction where people want to stick with their daily routine.
• Medical detox: A medical detox program provides medical support while you are removing all traces of the drug from your system and dealing with withdrawal. It is very important because withdrawal from some drugs, including alcohol, can cause potentially fatal seizures or heart problems.
• Intensive outpatient or partial hospitalization: These are types of rehab where you visit the center more often and get more assistance. If you select a partial hospitalization option, you may also visit a health care clinic for medications or other health care.
Types of Therapy to Pick From in New Britain Rehab
Whatever type of rehab you visit, you will find that a major part of most treatments is therapy. Therapy is important because it addresses the mental aspect of addiction that makes it so hard to beat. Depending on the type of therapy you choose, you may be able to explore underlying causes of addiction, find coping methods for dealing with addiction cravings, discover healthier ways to relax or identify triggers that cause you to relapse.
Most centers will offer personalized treatment plans where a specialist will recommend a combination of different therapeutic techniques. No single type of therapy is proven to be the most effective option. Instead, finding the right one often requires your therapist to take into account the drugs you use, your mental health and your unique personality. Here are some of the styles of therapy you may encounter in New Britain.
• Cognitive behavioral therapy: In this therapy, the therapist will help you identify negative behaviors and cognitive distortions that lead to addiction. Then, they will assist with finding methods of correcting and coping with these thoughts and feelings.
• Contingency management: This sets up a program where you are rewarded for abstaining from alcohol and drugs.
• Dialectical behavior therapy: This therapy focuses on providing acceptance, encouragement and support to help you deal with negative thoughts and behaviors in a healthier way. It encourages people to build skills for regulating emotions and managing stress.
• Motivational interviewing: Clinically shown to help with addiction, motivational interviewing is a collaborative process. The therapist builds rapport with the client and helps them identify their own motivation for making positive decisions.
• Holistic therapy: Holistic therapy is a type of therapy that aims to treat every part of a patient instead of focusing only on their mental, emotional or physical health. It can be used to help people heal and find relaxation following their addiction. There are a variety of treatments that count as holistic therapy, including yoga, meditation, sports and volunteering.
Does Rehab Cost a Lot in New Britain?
The price of rehab in New Britain, Connecticut, really depends on the rehab facility you select. Rehab can be absolutely free or cost thousands of dollars a week. Usually, facilities charge more if they offer luxurious amenities, have more staff on hand, provide residential rehab or give medical care. We understand that fears of extra expenses keep many people from going to rehab, but the truth is that you do not need to be concerned. There are many centers that offer discounts, payment plans or even free treatment for lower-income patients. Remember that the cost of addiction is definitely worth it in the long run. Not only does treatment provide the invaluable benefit of giving you your life back, but it also saves you thousands of dollars in the future legal fees, health care and drug purchases you would make without getting help for your addiction.
Get Quality Care at Our Rehab Centers
An excellent option for those looking for rehab centers near New Britain is New Freedom Academy. This substance misuse treatment facility provides an intimate and home-like setting. With just 20 patients treated at a time, there are multiple clinicians and staff members present to provide focused care. Fully licensed therapists assist with a blend of individualized and group therapy, including cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing and dialectical behavioral therapy. For those with addictions that require medication, we can provide monitoring and prescriptions for professional health care workers. When you are not in therapy, there are workshops, educational programs and yoga classes to provide entertainment and relaxation.
Green Mountain Treatment Center is another highly effective choice for residents of New Britain, Connecticut. This adult-oriented program provides separate residential facilities for male and female clients. Nestled in the peaceful hills of New Hampshire and surrounded by refreshing apple orchards, this natural environment is sure to lift spirits. It integrates the popular 12-step program with traditional therapy to provide supportive treatment. If you choose to attend Green Mountain Treatment Center, you get an individualized treatment plan. Depending on your situation, we may recommend medical detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, psychotherapy or holistic therapy. Our uplifting approach to rehab helps you get on the path to recovery while rebuilding your life for the better.